Friday, January 9, 2015

Daily Dose 1-9-15

Genesis 22:8-12 Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” And the two of them went on together.When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood.Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”   “Here I am,” he replied “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

It would be so interesting to hear this story from Isaac’s perspective. Abraham was an old man and Isaac was young and strong. It seems he could have very easily manhandled his way off the altar and reported his father as insane. Yet, Isaac laid upon the altar and saw his father grab the knife. Isaac had faith in God himself as well as confidence in his father’s faith. Are you being asked to sacrifice or be the sacrifice for someone else’s mission? Lying upon the altar took as much faith as lifting the knife. Isaac’s example shows us we may not be the one who receives the commission from God for a great action. However, we may be called upon for a supporting role that takes the same amount of faith. What altar is God asking you to lie upon for Him?

Father, I cannot fathom the faith of Abraham or Isaac in this account. I’m not sure I would have been confident I was really hearing from You. Clarify Your will to me. Help me to know what my role is in Your plan. I love You! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment