Friday, January 30, 2015

Daily Dose 1-30-15

Matthew 20:26-28 “…whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Jesus had just shared with the apostles He was about to be mocked, flogged and crucified and on the third day raised to life. What did they really hear? Immediately after, the mother of James and John knelt before Him asking that her sons be seated at His left and right when He established His kingdom- obviously thinking it would be an earthly, political kingdom. An argument broke out among them as they squabbled over who should have those positions. The lesson Jesus shared with them applies to us today. In politics, candidates are accused of flip-flopping on issues. Jesus came to flip the process, for sure! The powerful, rich and influential are exalted in our society. Jesus flips that equation to show us how we will receive the ultimate exaltation of eternal life. We are to use any influence, riches and power we must have in order to serve others with no expectations of exaltation on this earth. Are you serving hoping to get a pat on the back or an, “Atta boy” from someone on earth? Flip your perspective! Have no expectations or desires for acknowledgement now…wait for your, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” What a sweet statement that will be!

Father, I confess I am too concerned about how others value me on earth. Flip my perspective. Remind me my only concern should be how my work brings value to your kingdom. I love You! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment