Sunday, June 1, 2014

Daily Dose 6-1-14

2 Samuel 18:32-33 The king asked the Cushite, “Is the young man Absalom safe?” The Cushite replied, “May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rise up to harm you be like that young man.” The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept. As he went, he said: “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!”

We see a glimpse of the heart of God through the man who constantly pursued it. David loved his son Absalom just as God loves us. Absalom was prideful and rebellious just as we can be. Even though King David ordered thousands to bring Absalom in safely, his son was killed in an accident pursuing David’s men. Ironically, his hair – the source of his good looks that formed his great pride – caught in the low hanging branches of an oak tree. Does your pride put you in conflict against the One who loves you most? Is it a snare for you? Do you find yourself in conflict with the people (fellow Christians) He sends to bring you back? Just as King David was just, he knew his son must be held accountable and brought in, yet he still loved. Just as God is just, by the grace of Christ’s blood, He forgives, but knows there will still be consequences for our sin. Absalom wanted to be king of the kingdom and push his father from the throne. Are you trying to be the LORD of your life and push your Father from the throne of your soul? If so, God’s heart is breaking just like David’s did.

Father, Forgive my prideful heart and mold it to pursue Yours as David did. Protect me from consequences and restore fractured relationships. I love You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment