Sunday, October 7, 2018

A Miracle in the Automotive ICU

The past fews weeks have been an opportunity to experience the entire range of the emotional spectrum. Two days before my 54th birthday, I officially accepted a position with Duke Energy which included a relocation package to St. Petersburg.

Excited, grateful, honored and nervous all swirled as I embarked on a new adventure.

Disappointment, frustration and anxiety crept in as I looked for an apartment that was accessible in my beautiful new city.

Leaving Ocala was challenging as family and my sweet Sophie didn't completely understand the need to begin a new season of life.

My first week at Duke was the epitome of confirmation I had made the right decision. With each interaction from the amazing people at my new employer, I saw God's fingerprints all over this beautiful blessing. Accepted, appreciated, challenged and needed all fueled the professional drive that is a part of who God created me to be. I love work. I've been blessed to find a career that makes work something that I enjoy, not something I have to do. The corporate culture and exciting new project at Duke is the cherry on top of my career sundae.

As I pulled in to park at the apartment Tuesday evening, smoke billowed from the hood of my van. A gurgling noise was accompanied by the smell of radiator fluids. My van was not well. As the AAA driver towed it away to a mechanic, I felt as though my best friend was put into an ambulance, being rushed to the hospital. Those who know me understand my van is not just a vehicle, it is my access to life.

Gratitude and humility filled me as my new team was supportive and understanding in my captive state in my apartment as I awaited the mechanic's call. The prognosis was not good. A test conducted by my van's physician came back with a terminal diagnosis. The results indicated a blown head gasket. This particular mechanical physician refused treatment of replacing the head gasket due to the 170,000+ miles. The $3,000 procedure could still leave the van in a vulnerable state. His recommended treatment was to replace the engine, an $8,000 expense. As any physician would with such a dire diagnosis, he recommended a second opinion.

I juggled the phone on Wednesday pivoting between trying to find a rental van to looking for another mechanic to render a second opinion. After calling accessible van rental companies, at least six, no options were available. None had inventory with a transfer seat and hand controls. A plethora of accessible vans were available to rent for someone else to drive me. To get to work Thursday, the solution was a transport service, a $112 ride. If I applied for and was accepted to a program they have for people with disabilities in need of transportation, the fee would be $9. However, the process takes three to six weeks.

I approached my expensive ride with the best attitude I could muster. I enjoyed a great conversation with the friendly driver and learned more about the area. I called two mechanics who agreed with the first without even looking at my van.

A co-worker recommended his mechanic. I called. Again, without looking at my van, he agreed with the first mechanic. His illustration spoke to my hospice background as he compared replacing the head gasket to conducting open-heart surgery on a 95 year-old man.

In July, I had begun the process of replacing my van with the assistance of Vocational Rehabilitation. It's a blessing and tremendous service but it's not a quick process. Van replacement was in my first or second quarter of 2019 plan, not the second week of my new job schedule.

I received a call from one of the many van rental companies I had contacted. He recommended Victory Auto Service in St. Petersburg. I liked the named immediately. I felt defeated. I needed Victory! I called and spoke to Jason. While he tended to agree with the other mechanics, he said he couldn't say for sure until he looked at it. I gladly paid the $90 towing fee to get my van to his shop.

Thursday night was dark. Desperation crept in. Friends were praying and my milestone friends, Phil and Jamie Brasher, provided calming counsel from Nashville to keep my spirits up. Phil's automotive expertise was reassuring the gasket replacement could work to get me through. Jamie's calming assurance that it's crummy but everything will all work out got me through the night.

Friday morning was spent trying to accelerate my acceptance into the transportation program as I accepted my van's demise. I talked with the counselor at VR to hasten the replacement process. I called back rental companies to see when they could have a rental available for me.

At 1:00, Jason called. His mechanic had looked at my van. He noticed the back air wasn't working and explored further. I don't remember Jason's full explanation. Something about air pockets and a leaking hose, flushing and filling...all I heard was, "Your van is fine." Jason's team pushed it in testing, trying to force it to overheat. My friend performed well. She was out of the woods.

Jason had Rick drive the van to me for me to drive him back to the shop. Relief, gratitude and praise consumed me as I was reunited with my beloved access to independence. Arriving at Victory, I was able to meet the team who took the time to look deeper. Andrew, the actual mechanic, sheepishly accepted my hug and gratitude. Jason was careful not to speak ill of the first mechanic. "They were treating the symptom, instead of finding the cause." When I asked about the all-telling test my van supposedly failed, he said it did not fail after Andrew investigated and made his repairs. While I could tell Jason was doubtful the test had been conducted, he was careful not to speak ill will over a competitor. "I can't tell you what he did or didn't see, all I can tell you is what we saw."

I refuse to believe such gross malpractice existed with the first mechanic. The others who echoed his sentiment did so without ever looking at the van. I think my van was in the automotive ICU. I believe God intervened. Friday was a praise party. I'm overwhelmed by the blessing God provided to get me through. He never lets me down.

God never wastes a struggle. In the process, I have the application started with Care Ride for any future transportation needs that may arise. My van replacement time frame is accelerated. God's plan for this job for me was further confirmed by the support, understanding and encouragement from my new boss. The mascot for our project is Alf - Agile-Learning-Flexible. She referenced that philosophy as she reiterated her excitement to have me on the team and reassured me all is well.

Today, worship will be a bit more intimate as I reflect on how my God is still in the miracle business and He is willing to use one for my benefit. All the emotions roll in to one through this experience – loved – by the One who cares to count the number of hairs on my head and catch my tears in a bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment