Thursday, May 24, 2018

Daily Dose 5-24-18

John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Love is easy when everyone is loveable…but how often does that happen? It should be obvious that we love one anther; so obvious that it shouldn’t have to be a command. But, Jesus knows our tendencies. We are inclined to selfishness, judgment and arrogance – three of the greatest barriers to love. Jesus wasn’t speaking to His apostles about loving the lost, He told them to reach the lost, they must love one another. How does Jesus find the love level among Christians today? Is He pleased seeing the lost so jealous for the relationships they witness that they are drawn to find Him? Or, does He see Christians tearing one another down? Does He see selfishness, arrogance and judgment among His church? To learn how to love one another the way Christ loved, we must practice breaking down the barriers to love. When selfishness creeps in and you want your way – serve! When arrogance is in your heart and you feel like you always know best – humble yourself to ask for help. When you are tempted to judge – make a list of your own sins and focus on overcoming them. Life is too short to let the barriers of love prevail. When you think unloving thoughts about someone, put on your Jesus glasses and view them through His eyes – and love!

Father, I know that to love the unlovely and those who reject or discount my love is the greatest way to reflect Your son – but God, it is NOT easy! Help me overcome barriers to love and show me how to love those who may not show love for me the way Jesus would have me do. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment