Saturday, February 8, 2014

Daily Dose 2-8-14


Matthew 26:8-13 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
Does Jesus contradict Himself? Just before the woman anointed Him with expensive perfume, He had taught the disciples the importance of giving to the poor and those imprisoned and disadvantaged. How confusing for them to see this very costly action – and see Jesus happy about it! In teaching them to care for the poor, He said they had done it for Him. They were appalled thinking they missed some opportunity. They were looking for ways to check off their “get in good with Jesus” list. What the woman saw was Jesus in front of her and she was overcome by love and adoration for Him. How should this apply to us? We don’t have Jesus, whom we love and adore, sitting physically in our midst. Therefore, to show our love for Him, we care for those He loves. Jesus is the champion for the disadvantaged, poor and brokenhearted. Are you eager to bless them in His name, or do you see it as a waste of valuable resources? We must begin looking at others – even those we deem unworthy – as if they were Jesus Himself in the flesh. What are you willing to sacrifice to bless them/Him?
Father, Open my eyes to how I should serve You by serving others. Help me see suffering through Your eyes and adjust my life accordingly. I love You…help me show it! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment