Thursday, October 3, 2013

Daily Dose 10-3-13


Philippians 4:12-13 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

The fact that American Christians love this scripture when so few know contentment is the perfect example of our spirit conflicting with our flesh. We want to be content in all things; yet, we live in a society where we are constantly persuaded to get the next thing, strive for the next level and always look for something better. We need to remember the setting in which these words were written. Paul wrote this from hands chained in a prison cell because of his work for the cause of Christ. That is so difficult for most of us to comprehend. Paul’s contentment with his circumstances in the flesh was manifested by his discontent for the number of people who knew about Jesus. It didn’t matter if he was imprisoned, going without food or freedom, as long as others were coming to know Christ. Are you in a challenging situation right now? If so, think of Paul. Use the chains of your burden to introduce Christ to others by the way they see Christ in you. Let your witness be an encouragement to other Christians to press on through their challenges, sharing the Good News through it all. 

Father, Change my perspective. Keep me content in matters where the world likes me to want. Make me discontent with the lack of salvation or spiritual depth of those around me. Give me Your wisdom and Your eyes to see true needs, and give me the strength to fulfill them by Your power! I love You! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment